Monday 19 September 2011

Our Centurion

Who couldn't have asked for a better day- fantastic weather (brisk morning at 5 degrees, but by midday: 18 degrees and sunny skies), amazing race course, and the love of my life at my side.  We haven't had this much fun since we made an impromptu escape to the Tour de Georgia to catch Lance on his bike! 

After a full summer of training- 5am wake-ups (no matter how many times Miss G decided to wake up for night feedings), and long Friday morning rides (thanks to Glen for a flexible work schedule to allow him to take the kiddie reigns while I toured the backroads of York and Durham Region)- it all came to culmination in Collingwood this weekend for the Centurion.  It was challenging, exhilerating, fast, and the miles seemed to tick by (well, with the exception of the 2 super-tough parts: the steep climb out of Creemore and the combined headwind and climb up to Ravenna in the back 10-miles of the ride). 

I am so grateful Glen decided to join me for the experience.  I needed him for those last few hills, and there was nothing quite like crossing the finish line together, and having our kids there to celebrate at the finish!

My defining moment post-race was in the first 10 minutes after my finish: changing Georgia's diaper and reading Rowan a story.  Like I no sooner took off my helmet and my Mom-job was back in action...

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Corrie! Not easy to train with Thing One and Thing Two in the mix. Always love seeing that jersey in action. Ride on!!

    ReplyDelete