Monday 2 May 2011

WELCOME, GEORGIA LILY BUCHANAN!

Georgia Lily Buchanan- April 18th, 2011 7lbs 14oz  6:01am

After the much-awaited and long anticipated pregnancy, labour started as a "tease" around 1pm on April 17th.  Contractions were mild, and would come and go throughout the afternoon and into the evening.  By 9pm, the discomfort was enough to put a call into the Birthing unit, where they advised that my symptoms of labour could either escalate to full-blown labour, or could dissipate back to "normal" state (what is "normal" at 9 months preggers, anyway?), and that I should try to get some sleep and see what happens.  Sleep wasn't really an option at that point, but I did jump in the bath for 40 minutes, and by the time I came out, contractions were about 8 minutes apart and were getting stronger.  11pm, both Glen and I did a lights out...wondering if perhaps we should have called his parents to come over "just in case"...

By 1pm, I hadn't slept a wink- the contractions were getting worse, and we were unsure as to when we should call Walter & Eleanor, as they were our "relief" for Rowan.  We quickly decided that this was THE time, and they arrived only 40 minutes after our call...long enough for my contractions to go from 7 minutes apart to 2 minutes apart, as we waited in the driveway for their arrival.  Unsure if we'd actually make it to the hospital, Glen sped (cautiously on ICY roads- ...and as a side-bar...icy roads in April?  Yes- we do live in Canada!) about 120km/hr along Davis Drive.  And...as any good Hollywood movie highlight during the RUSH TO THE HOSPITAL SCENE, we did fly by a police officer, he did pull out  behind us...but with no lights or sirens, and a contracting wife in the passenger seat, Glen just kept on going.  Fortunately, the police officer pulled up beside us on a red light, took one look at me in a full-on contraction, and politely turned the opposite direction and let us go along our way.

Once in Labour & Delivery, the nurses quickly triaged me, and got us settled quickly in The Buchanan Delivery Room (again!  what luck!), describing that if the anaesthetist was available, they would get me an epidural- otherwise I'd be delivering the baby au naturel within the next 30 minutes.  Thank goodness anaesthesia was available, and the epidural was on board and working its' magic within 45 minutes (45 LOOOOONG minutes, but still appreciated once in place!).  Funny- the labour experience was so different with Rowan- no real understanding of early labour contractions (thats what happens when your water breaks, but you don't go into labour naturally), no knowledge of the pain of escalating contractions, but definite memories of the pushing-out-the-babe experience, as 12 hours of epidural wore off just in time to welcome Baby Rowan into the world!  Georgia was completely different- I almost felt like I was cheating, given that I could see contractions occuring on my monitors, yet felt nothing...and when they asked me to push, I could push, but again, felt only a minor amount of pressure in my 'nether regions!  After a challenging pregnancy, I was grateful to have had such an easy delivery!

7 PUSHES LATER...

Out came our baby girl (to our surprise and joy!  Both Glen & I were certain we were having another boy)- Georgia Lily Buchanan at 6:01am on April 18th, 2011.  She was a perfect 7lbs 14oz- arrived with a beautiful little head (again, different from her brother!), a head full of dark hair, warm white- almost olive- complexion, and steel blue eyes that would almost pass for gray.  She was curious and alert from birth, and won our hearts, much like her brother, from the start! 

The Buchanan Family- Corrie, Georgia, Glen & Rowan


No comments:

Post a Comment