Monday 2 May 2011

Things I've learned...

1. Much to the debated relevance and effectiveness from a number of other women I know...NO- CABBAGE LEAVES DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO HELP DRY UP THE BREASTMILK OF A NON-NURSING MOTHER.  Do they offer relief?  Yes- for a short time, while they are still cool from having just removed them from the fridge.  Do they have some magic naturopathic properties that work wonders in decreasing the engorgement from one's breasts?  Absolutely not.  I'll never look at cabbage rolls the same way again!

2. Recovery from one's delivery is much easier without tears.  Hands-down.

3. Everyone should have a 2nd birthing experience- and it would be nice if it happened the first time around.  Seriously.  Once that highway has been paved of a babe outta a woman's bajingo, its like the subsequent deliveries are a piece of cake.  No comparison!

4.  Sleep is a wonderful thing.  I'll update when I start getting some again...

5. Nothing bounces back post-natal, not even my 80-year old pregger-induced vericose right leg.  It is getting better, but by now, I was back to legs I was happy to wear shorts in, after Rowan.  At this rate, I'll either be visiting my vascular surgeon customers for some cosmetic work, or I'll be removing all shorts and capris from my wardrobe for an indefinite amount of time!

6. Stretch marks suck.

7. People don't talk enough about "down there" issues post-natal.  No one tells you that hemorrhoids are common after delivery.  No one tells you about leakage.  No one tell you that you will consciously have to tighten your bajingo for the next 5 years every time you sneeze to avoid having to change your pants and underwear!  I'm wondering if Depends are going to come out with some sort of sexy, lacy version soon to market to younger, post-natal women. 

8.  The "natural methods" of inducing labour don't really work.  Believe me- I tried them all.  Spicy food?  nope.  Copious amounts of pineapple?  nope.  Grapefruit?  nope.  Chinese- no.  Walking- nope.  (we did the zoo, long walks with Gryph, many trips to the park...you name it, anything to stay vertical to try to get gravity to do its' work!).  Bumpy road trips- definitely not.  I may put a little interest in the "what got you there in the first place might get that baby outta there" theory, but then again- coincidence is possible!

1 comment:

  1. So funny and too bad that the cabbage did not work for you! It was like magic for my poor engorged boobs post-Alice.

    And yes, it's just a mess "down there" after delivery, huh? We need to talk about this more as women so we're more prepared!

    Georgia is such a doll -- I'm so happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete